Day Two Prose Works
Generate key points, identify passages, then report to the
class. Use the following questions as a guide. Devote 10 minutes to this
process of exploration.
Group One: The Prefaces in Reason of
Church-Government (903-04 and 920-25)
- What does Milton suggest in the first preface as
regards the differences among Catholic, Anglican, and Puritan?
- What does Milton say in the second preface about his
vocation as a poet? About poetry more generally?
- What relation does page 923, left column, have to
PL? To “Lycidas”?
- Other ways to ask the question: What are Milton’s
poetics? What kind of epic is he considering?
Group Two: “A Tale” in Of Reformation
- What is Milton’s purpose in this text?
- What’s the allegory going on here?
- What are Milton’s arguments against the episcopacy?
- What kind of system does Milton favor?
- What theme or concept emerges from this “Tale”?
Group Three: “Of True Religion” (1151-55)
- Why does Milton dislike the Roman Catholic Church?
- What principles does Milton affirm here?
- What different Protestant sects does Milton identify?
What does each one emphasize?