Questions on PL 3
GOD (80ff., 167ff., 274ff.)
- What is Milton's position on the Trinity? In other words, what is
the relationship between God and Son? What does Milton say about grace?
Are there different types?
- What is God's position on predestination? Does not being "elect"
mean that one is damned? "What I will is fate," God says at 7.173.
Does this contradict his assertions in book 3?
- How are is man different from the fallen angels?
- Do you notice the Great Chain of Being here? How is this
- How is God's rhetoric different from Satan's?
- How can we be sure that God is not a puppeteer?
SON (144ff, 227ff.)
- Compare and contrast Satan's mission and the Son's.
- What elements of Christian history do you find here? What
interpretations arise from historical details that have not yet happened?
- What things define Christian heroism?
- The music at 344ff. contrasts with what kind of sounds at Satan's
parallel moment in book 1?
- How does Milton's style change when he returns to Satan?
- What do you make of the simile at 3.428-29?
- What do you make of the Limbo of Vanity? Why does it exist before
the Fall? Is there anti-Catholic satire here?
- What associations with Jacob's ladder (line 510)?