"Tradition and the Individual Talent":
- See the essay, paragraph 3.
- What happens in the poem? Cf. Henry James's "Crapy
- Over a dozen other allusions in "Prufrock."
- The epigraph—Dante's Inferno.
POINT from "Ulysses, Order, and
Other Facts about Literary Tradition in "Prufrock":
- Dramatic monologue:
- The poem functions as a hinge:
- I Can Hear the Mermaids Singing
- Blown Away
The Opening Stanza:
- Who are "you and I"?
- What about "a patient etherized upon a table"?
- Rhyme scheme:
- The direction of sexual energy: downward.
- Energy vs. restraint:
- What things suggest energy/violence?
- What things suggest restraint?
- Key term: objective correlative:
- Which wins—energy or restraint?
- Why mermaids?
- What is the significance of the tercets?